What county is Mount Pleasant Michigan?
Mt. Pleasant Michigan is located in Isabella County and is also the county seat. Isabella County is proud to be home to Central Michigan University, the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, the City of Mt. Pleasant.
The top attractions in Isabella County include: Central Michigan University, Soaring Eagle Casino, the Chippewa River, Deerfield Nature Park and Soaring Eagle Waterpark. The county is home to two colleges, Central Michigan University and Mid-Michigan College.
Why is Mt Pleasant MI called Mt Pleasant?
Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, seat of Isabella County, was once a village and incorporated as the City of Mt. Pleasant in 1889. Mt. Pleasant sits in the geographic center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula. In 1855 David Ward, a timber-cruiser, surveyor, teacher and physician, purchased land from the United States Government, much of it pine forest. Ward logged off a site along the Chippewa River and upon completion of the operation concluded the land would be a fine spot for a town. He surveyed the area into lots, named the village Mount Pleasant and promptly sold the plot to investors from New York.
The history of Mt. Pleasant is celebrated in the City seal. The four emblems comprising the city seal include: Native American heritage and culture; agriculture; education; and the discovery and production of oil were each influential in shaping the community it is today.
- There are more than 15 local parks, which provide an abundance of opportunities for picnicking, swimming, biking, hiking, sledding, cross country skiing, and more.
- Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a dozen local courses within a 30-minute drive of the city
- Home of the first person to canoe all the great lakes
- Mt. Pleasant’s Native American heritage and rich history, together with the splendor of the area’s natural attractions, give visitors a wide variety of things to see and enjoy.
- Mt. Pleasant was the site of a major oil strike in the late 1920s which significantly changed the face of the city.
- Famous residents of Mt. Pleasant include: John Engler Former Michigan Governor, Dan Pohl Pro golfer, Kelly Robbins Pro golfer, Dan Schafer Professional Musician/Songwriter